Friday, August 5, 2011

Use Your Words: Spousal Fashion Edition

After several glasses of wine this evening, I charged E with picking out my clothes for our late-night trip to West End Cinema.  In the fashion magazine where I gleaned this idea (okay that's probably the first place I went wrong) the husband in question chose extra sexy clothes for his wife, which she thought were too risque, but then she kept getting lots of compliments so she just went with it.

Counterpoint: E chose my most boring (though very work appropriate and reasonably nice) black dress.  Which is itself an accomplishment, because I have a lot of black dresses.  When I harangued him about it, he went back and picked another (sexier) black dress for me, but I think the whole episode is pretty telling anyway.  E is the type who chooses sensible shoes every time, not just because they're sensible, but because he genuinely likes them*.  Fortunately, he chose a wife who, without hesitation, will buy white ballerina flats with wings on them in a half-size too small, on the internet.  It all evens out in the end, right?



*It should be noted that, once he chose the black dress, he chose all the right accessories, AND that he specifically avoided choosing a dress that was the same color as the t-shirt he was already wearing.  The man's not colorblind.  Just . . . steady.

3 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by this experiment! I think it is awesome that E. chose sensible and comfortable shoes- it's refreshing since I know so many guys who are *all about* stilettos (which can be sexy on certain occasions but...not exactly good for walking more than 1/4 mile in)

    It's funny, I also have like 3 black dresses. Only one is work appropriate, though..ha!
    ~Parthena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this ... but I think I may have a good idea as to what will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Parthena - actually I meant that E usually chooses sensible shoes for himself, but that's very true! Fortunately I don't have any stilletos, which solves that problem.

    @Sophia - DOOOO ITTT (& report back!)

    ReplyDelete