This morning I received some good advice from an old friend who once told me (quite rightly) to "get my shit together." It seems that time has come again. I've been a little less motivated at work lately than I could be, I haven't worked out at all since the honeymoon, and a number of Annoying Adult Tasks (dentist appointment, new checking account, ) have been languishing on my mental to-do list. I haven't been doing nothing, to be fair - yesterday I met up with our photographer (pro pictures coming soon!), baked a cobbler, met friends for a drink, and cleaned the apartment with E - but my emphasis hasn't really been on Serious Personal Responsibility or growth recently so much as Should I Get A Hand Tattoo. (I submit to you that the two really are quite mutually exclusive.)
On the one (not-yet-tattooed) hand, I will say that it's quite nice to feel so comfortable in my life and in my skin that I can pursue fun without massive guilt or anxiety. In some ways this is new for me - I've never been a super confident or terribly spontaneous person, though I might like to think of myself that way. I think it's also the result of my recently-celebrated partnership with E, which has a distinctly stabilizing effect on my whirring negative-Nancy brain.
On the other hand, 30 is staring me in the face and it's probably time to get some ducks in a row*. For a while now I've basically just been congratulating myself (and spending a shit-ton of money to have other people congratulate me) on my solid, happy relationship, while other grown-up goals of mine (home ownership, professional development) fell by the wayside. And I can't help but notice that, from a distance, that aforementioned stabilizing effect can look a little bit like laziness and complaceny.
Tough love says: the relationship is a lot, but it's not everything. And the best way to undermine it is to shirk other responsibilities. So, action time. Well, work time**, really, followed by a free screening of Fright Night (What? I already have the passes and they'll just go to waste otherwise! I can't do ALL the things in one day, right?)
But seriously.
What do you do when you need to buckle down?
*They're wily!
**Two ironies: 1) Completing this post made me (slightly) late for work - guess who's staying late today? and 2) When I did arrive at work, I was wearing lipstick, a very bland but work-appropriate outfit . . . and these (which did NOT cost me $183). Hello sensible keep-at-work loafers! See you at 5:30, shoes of amazingness.
No comments:
Post a Comment