Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Use Your Ears: Monthly Mix - July

Finally caught up!  July's mix is available on Spotify here.  (Does anyone have Spotify, and if so can you let me know if the link actually works?  It kind of seems too good to be true.)



Artist Title Album Notes
1 Lady Gaga Edge of Glory Born This Way Apparently inspired by her grandfather on his death bed?  A reminder of a fun night out.
2 Neil Young Walk With Me Le Noise Produced by Daniel Lanois (hence the album title).
3 Cee-Lo Green (You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care Rave On Buddy Holly Album of the month.
4 MGMT Electric Feel Oracular Spectacular Saw her in the Amazon / with the voltage running through her skin / Standing there with nothing on / she's gonna teach me how to swim
5 Florence & the Machine Not Fade Away Rave On Buddy Holly Florence + Buddy Holly + Tuba = WIN.
6 The Avett Brothers Kick Drum Heart I and Love and You Truth in song title advertising.
7 Ra Ra Riot Boy The Orchard Cat video?  I don't know what this song is about but I like it.
8 Kid Rock Well All Right Rave On Buddy Holly Annnd my brain is officially melted, because I like a Kid Rock song.*  
9 Pogo Very Good Advice (?) N/A Mesmerizing remix of dialogue from Alice in Wonderland.  More.
10 Belle Chase No Face Diamonite Neat video.  Apparently the song is an ode to this cat.  (WARNING: disturbing/sad).
11 TV On the Radio No Future Shock Nine Types of Light Is "menacing dance anthem"  a genre?
12 Amy Winehouse Back to Black Back to Black R.I.P.
13 TV On the Radio Second Song Nine Types of Light Every lover on a mission / shift your known position / into the light.



Chase No Face / BELL from zach lieberman on Vimeo.





New music courtesy of . . .
All Songs Considered
The lovely and talented Carla
Miss Moss
Andrew Sullivan

*In a blind listening session, E confirmed that this song is actually enjoyable.  Apparently the trick with Kid Rock is to take a really good song that someone ELSE wrote, and then add a horn section.

No comments:

Post a Comment