Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fashion (turn to the left)

While in Europe I collected some thoughts on global and regional fashion, and I'm still mulling them over. But then I got back this week, caught up on my social media, pulled my one fashion mag from the mail pile, and dove into my Feedly blog backlog (RIP Google Reader). And I found that I have a more pressing concern than which foreign country most enjoys scarves.



Here's the deal. I am super duper sick of women policing each other in the name of "fashion." I understand that the workplace has rules about clothes, and I don't begrudge that. But out in the world? I don't give a flying fuck what you're wearing, and I don't see why you care what I'm wearing. Much less how my - or anyone's - clothing choices could cause any sort of personal offense.* If you're truly offended by someone's choice of pants** or display of decolletage, it seems to that you must be 1) so unusually sensitive to the aesthetic choices around you that you probably shouldn't venture outside in the first place, 2) deeply uncomfortable with the realities of the human body, which you should maybe work on, and/or 3) not paying very close attention to all the other things in the world that deserve far more attention (and disdain).

Like, for example, the way that women are socialized to compete with one another on any and all grounds, including and especially physical attractiveness. Which is a value that is primarily defined in our society by straight men, no matter what the fashion industry may say. Straight men, who, as a group, stand to benefit from women focusing their energies on judging each other and propagating personal insecurities rather than on demanding equal power with men in social and professional settings.




So, here is my proposal. Next time you see a lady out and about, and you notice her clothing, consider these two options:

1) If you like her style: Smile! Make a mental note of anything you'd like to replicate in your own wardrobe. Consider complimenting her on said fashion choice, because compliments are awesome! Everyone likes to be told that others admire their choices, and compliments make both the complimenter and the complimentee feel pretty great.

2) If you're not digging what she's wearing: Think to yourself, "huh, that's not the choice I would have made." And then MOVE THE FUCK ON. Do not pass Go, Blogger, Twitter, or Facebook. Do not collect $200. The end.

And thanks. I really like the outfit you're wearing today. You look great!





*Of course I except clothing with hateful words/symbols on it from this statement, but even then: your body, your hate, not gonna get worked up over it. Just privately disappointed. 

**Here's a handy trick, by the way, for anyone wondering if an article of clothing constitutes "pants": are they being worn on the legs without something on top of them? Then they are pants. End of story. Your opinion on their quality as a pants choice is only your own, and frankly I probably don't want to hear it.***

***Finally, I acknowledge here that I have been guilty myself of fashion policing. I can think of one friend who I (playfully, I hope?) teased for wearing extra-short workout shorts that I know she really likes and that are really comfortable. Today I say, gurl, you wear those shorts. They look great on you, and even if they didn't, wear what you want. YOU DO YOU.




All pictures in this post taken at the Louvre.

No comments:

Post a Comment