Wednesday, May 25, 2011

1 month and counting

I’m feeling pretty out-of-sorts today. I attribute this to 1) planning fatigue and 2) stomach trouble (which may themselves be related). We have a lot to do in the next month, and all I can think about - when I’m not mentally making lists - is whether the caterer will mess up the curry chicken, and how much of a mess the apartment is right now. Fortunately, I have nothing to do tomorrow night so a thorough cleaning is in order. The curry chicken will just have to take care of itself.

Today seems as good a time as any to remind myself of why we’re having this big stupid party to begin with. A little over a year ago, on a Sunday near the beginning of May, E and I woke up late to sun streaming through the windows. We stayed in bed for a while, enjoying the morning and each other’s company, and then threw on some clothes and went for a walk to the National Cathedral. I’m always up for a walk (last weekend I made E walk home to Dupont from Friendship Heights, on a whim) but I didn’t realize that this particular walk was part of a larger plan.

We chatted and strolled, getting sunburnt and looking for 4-leaf clovers along the way. When we got there, we made a beeline for the garden - I love the good-smelling roses there, and it’s a nice place for quiet contemplation among the buzzing insects. E sat down on a bench, and I flitted about taking pictures of flowers and smelling things. Eventually he coaxed me onto the bench, and I noticed his hands trembling slightly as I sat down. He turned to me and started a short speech. Neither of us remember the exact words, but he talked about how we are a good team, and how we balance each other, and how he’s happy when he’s with me. And then he asked: “Would you maybe want to marry me?”

MAYBE.

I GUESS.

I should say at this point that, while I expected that we’d probably get married eventually, I wasn’t really in any hurry. I'm not really the like-it-put-a-ring-on-it type, (though I do dearly love that song). E and I had been living together for nearly a year, and dating for three and a half years (minus an ill-advised but very necessary two-week blip). I figured if nothing changed in another couple of years I’d just do the proposing myself, but it was all very theoretical. So I was genuinely surprised, but happily so, and happily said “Yes” immediately.

JUST KIDDING.

First I said, “Really? Reeeeallly???” Then I said “You know I’m kind of crazy, right?” Then I tried to crawl into his lap, in the middle of the public garden. Then, after (I believe) some prompting from E, I said, “Well, yes, OBVIOUSLY.” And then “Are you sure?” I think E ended up saying “Yes” more often during the conversation than I did. He also gave me a beautiful rose-shaped ring from a fabulous vintage jewelry store near our apartment. We smooched and held hands, and then went to the Cathedral gift shop because I had to pee. A good friend called while I was in the bathroom, allowing me a little time to squeal privately. Then we went to Two Amys for delicious delicious pizza and wine, and called the parents on the walk home. (My father's reaction when I told him that E proposed: “Proposed what?”) The rest of the day was snuggling and sharing the good news with friends and family. Also tending to minor sunburn.

It was pretty nice.

Taken right beforehand.

6 comments:

  1. I love you guys so much. You're such beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you tried so hard to talk him out of it. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's amazinggg. I love this story. !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophia - No YOU are! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    Ceej - I know, right? It's how I roll.

    Rachel - thanxxxx. Pickles! Stat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ring is all kinds of awesome.

    And, dads...they are so odd. When I told my dad I was keeping my name after marriage I thought he would be excited since it's his name and all...his response?

    "You always did try to be different."

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! That sounds EXACTLY like something my father would say. It would be humorous if it weren't occasionally so shredding . . . oh, dads.

    Thanks re: the ring - E deserves lots of props. :)

    ReplyDelete