Wednesday, May 4, 2011

April Mix

Some of you may know that I have a longstanding tradition of making myself a mix every month.  It started in college, when I actually made CDs, but now I just collect songs on one of the several Apple products which have conquered my life.  I've been doing this with considerable consistency for over 10 years now.

The purpose of these mixes is both aesthetic and autobiographical.  Creating a fresh mix each month pushes me to seek out (mostly) new music, which is exciting and gratifying in and of itself AND (let’s be honest) it makes me feel hip.  (Is there anything less hip than using the word “hip”?  I think not.)  On top of that, each mix also becomes a record of the events in my life for a given month.  I pull in songs that are relevant to the month’s events: concerts, new releases and new discoveries, plus songs that are lyrically relevant to my many and varied feeeeeeelings.  And, because I listen to the mix as I’m assembling it, the music becomes a soundtrack for my everyday life during that month.  I have a strangely strong music-to-location memory, such that a certain song can remind me for years afterward of walking down a particular street or driving on a particular stretch of road.  This is great for me, because my regular memory is kind of crap.

Anyway, here’s my April mix.  Profound it ain’t, but I love it just as I love all of my mix-children.

Artist Title Album Notes
1 Robyn Indestructible Body Talk I held off on Robyn for a while out of pure contrariness, but the guys from Sound Opinions convinced me with this one song.
2 The Jackson 5 ABC Anthology: Jackson 5 Rediscovered during wedding playlist preparation.
3 Glasser Apply Ring My newest fave discovery, also via Sound Opinions.
4 Television See No Evil Marquee Moon An awesome friend introduced me to Television over a decade ago (thanks Kerry!); I revisited this song recently after it was featured on This American Life.
5 The Foundations Build Me Up Buttercup The Very Best of the Foundations Also rediscovered during wedding playlist prep.
6 Ce Ce Peniston Finally 100% Pure Dance I don't remember why I downloaded this one; I was drunk.
7 Robyn Dancing on My Own Body Talk The Robyn seal has been broken.
8 The Kooks Ooh La Inside In/Inside Out Found this when "shopping" in my own music collection.  If you were the one who gave it to me, thanks!
9 Bryan Adams Heaven So Far So Good Don't hate.
10 Glasser Plane Temp Ring Seriously, CHECK OUT GLASSER.
11 Adele Make You Feel My Love 19 Thanks to Essence for sharing this album.
12 Tune-Yards Bizness Bizness - Single Again, credit goes to Sound Opinions.  Awesome music video, see below.
13 Paul Simon Hearts and Bones Hearts and Bones A chronicle of Simon's love affair with Carrie Fisher.  The best quote ever about that pairing, by Mike Nichols as quoted in Fisher's amazing memoir Wishful Drinking: "You were two flowers, no gardener."
14 Daft Punk Aerodynamic (Daft Punk Remix) Daft Club - The Remixes Thanks to Mariele.
15 Luscious Jackson Naked Eye Naked Eye What can I say, this song holds up.


As a bonus, here's the awesome/bizarre video for Tune-Yards' "Bizness."

2 comments:

  1. I admire your ability to hunt down new music! I am absolutely crap at that. Which is why I married zach, he's really good at making playlists for me! haha. there may have been one or two other reasons we got married.. I dunno. Anyway I agree, it's fun looking back at the playlists and thinking about what was going on at that time. Music definitely brings you back to a time and place in an eerie way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! It is good that you locked down a personal DJ - they are useful to have around! :)

    ReplyDelete