Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Rockin' in the Free World

Something about big, widely-observed celebrations makes me really contrarian. It probably boils down to, "don't TELL me how to FEEL, political/social/corporate/religious institution! I'll do what I WANT!"

via Gingerhaze

Independence Day is no exception. Don't get me wrong, there's lots to love about this holiday: barbeques, beer, sparklers, a day off from work, and really excellently trashy movie.




But thinking too hard about the 4th of July always gets to me. For years my parents would take my brother and me to a rural-ish celebration out in bumfuck VA for the holiday, and it was usually pretty nice - quiet, friendly, local, tasty - but one year they had an actual war-related reenactment, with a tank lumbering across the huge field and explosions simulating gunfire popping all around it. I remember being wholly terrified, followed by really disappointed. Seriously guys? I recognize the reality of war (though that doesn't mean I always see its necessity, nor in specific cases its legitimacy). I am grateful to those who serve, no question. But I don't see the value in reliving war for live entertainment. And it's not how I would choose to contemplate the state of our nation on its birthday.

For that matter, there's plenty else to consider at this stage in our nation's history that gives me pause. But there are also a fair share of pluses, which I don't wish to overlook. America doesn't do it right every time, and MAN don't get me started on some of those details (not having a national electoral voice doesn't mean I don't have OPINIONS, yo) but there's a good bit to admire too. For all that I know, don't know, appreciate and reject about our country - I just can't do the flag-waving thing. It's not in me.

So, I guess aside from writing cranky blog posts and generally being a pill, the best way to register my (democratically sanctioned) dissent is . . . a mix? Consider it Independence Day for Commies. And enjoy.




(There's like 10 songs missing including the below. I blame Spotify, but you get the idea.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment