I ran out of work to do at 1:30 pm today, so, um, I started a blog? Welcome.
Before I started the blog, though, I took a quick walk outside to experience April in DC sans climate control. (Spoiler alert: it is warm, pollen-filled and slightly sticky). I first wandered down to Lafayette Park in front of the White House, just a 5 min walk from my office. There is often something (or someone) interesting to see there:
But today the park was pretty tame, so I kept a-walking. Right past, and then back, and into, the Renwick Gallery/American Art Museum.
How gorgeous is this building? The Renwick houses the Smithsonian American Art Museum's craft and decorative arts program. I stop in on occasion to see probably my favorite piece from their collection, Larry Fuente’s Game Fish.
(If you’ve been to our apt. you may have noticed a postcard-sized picture of this piece in an Ikea frame on the wall, because E and I are classy like that.)
![]() |
| Larry Fuente - Game Fish |
(If you’ve been to our apt. you may have noticed a postcard-sized picture of this piece in an Ikea frame on the wall, because E and I are classy like that.)
The Renwick is kind of a weird hodgepodge of a museum, combining contemporary folk art and sculpture with traditional portraiture and landscapes. Truthfully the architecture and interior design is as much of a draw for me as the art. The Grand Salon looks like how a classic art gallery should look, with circular couches, pink walls, oriental-inspired rugs, gold window-dressings and a high ceiling with skylights. And did I mention PINK WALLS? The only drawback is that the paintings high on the walls are harder to see because of glare from the lights. I picked out a few to focus on today, mostly from what appeared to be the “Artist Self-Portraits and Paintings of Cows” wall. (You can see all of the paintings in the Grand Salon at the Renwick’s Flickr).
I love the movement in this portrait. The woman looks a bit too white and the girl’s right hand is a little too posed (unless she’s fiddling with something, can’t tell for sure), but the fistful of hair, the facial expressions and the character’s actions are compelling.
This painting benefits from the context of its sheer size on the wall and its large, gilded frame. Great title.
![]() |
| Alice Pike Barney - Self-Portrait with Palette |
Movement! Can you tell I like it in paintings? Also wacky backgrounds. Also tough painter ladies with wild hair. I love how her signature is incorporated into the painting itself rather than hiding away in the corner, even though it’s kind of distracting and totally breaks the rules. If you're feeling clicky, here is Alice Pike Barney’s Wikipedia Page (DC salons! Douchebag husband! Lesbian daughter! Decades-younger second husband! This lady did some living.)
That is all. Thanks for reading, or at least looking at the pictures!
m






I have not yet seen Eli Nature Boy this year!
ReplyDeleteAlso, impressive amount of photos, for only 10 or so minutes. :)
I promise I'm about to stop comment-storming your blog. just had to note, I worked next to lafayette park for 3 years and never made it inside the renwick gallery. ARGH. regrets, I has them.
ReplyDeleteI like comments! Parthena - next time he's out I will let you know and we can take a jaunt to visit. Do you know he has a crazy website? http://prop1.org/protest/elijah/nature.htm
ReplyDeleteRachel - Well, now you have an excuse to come back on a day off. We can get hot dogs and go to the Renwick! This is a good plan I have. Burrito cart burritos would be an acceptable food alternative.
oooh great idea! <3 burritos.
ReplyDelete