![]() |
| None of the pictures in this entry are germane to this entry. |
October is also a good reminder that I haven't posted about my monthly "projects" (an increasingly loose term) since...July? Yeesh. I've been pretty busy of late between house maintenance, vacation, and social and cultural engagements of various types. Also, in my free time, super lazy.
To recap the monthly project situation:
July: No social networking month. This was actually pretty nice and my brain space expanded noticeably if not enormously. I abstained from Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (the latter of which I rarely use anyway). I also cut way back on Google Reader, which is not social media itself in the same way as the others but does occupy some of the same brainspace.
Unfortunately, I was unable to hold onto the brain-benefits after the month was over and instead dove straight back into the blue, glowing arms of internet dependence. I'm not proud. On the other hand, I do learn a bit about the world from my digital wanderings so it's not a total loss. At the end of the month I took a few small measures to try to better curate what consumes my computer-energy. I hid the feeds of FB "friends" with whom I haven't had any contact in a few years, hid unread counts from my Google Reader so I can't get completionist-competitive with myself, and conveniently forgot about Twitter again. These tweaks have helped a little bit but it's still an uphill battle. Obviously the best way for me to manage internet dependence is to limit computer exposure overall and that is mostly related to how busy I am at work and at home.
August: I kinda forgot to have an intention or project in August - or I picked one and immediately abandoned it. I can't even remember. In practice, I could argue that August's project was biking, as it was in that most sweltering of months that I started cycling to work from our new house. I have a post nearly ready to go about what I learned as a dilettante urban biker. Happily, this is one practice that I've kept up, more or less, though I expect it to taper off in the next month or two as the morning weather slides from chilly to cold.
September: September was about as big a failure as February, project-wise. My intention was to journal privately each day of the month, because I clearly need more structure in my life, could use a bit more honest (i.e. non-audience-driven) self-reflection, and have a terrible memory. Plus, I went on an awesome trip with E and some friends and wanted to record it for posterity. Unfortunately, the whole venture lasted a remarkable 4 days before I missed a night of journaling while intoxicated in a hotel in Nashville, and abandoned the daily plan completely. I have yet to find a way to make the daily journal thing work in practice. I've tried writing on my computer, on my phone, and on paper; I've tried writing at night and writing when it's convenient. I always end up missing a day and/or falling asleep mid-entry. Still working on that one. I want to think that writing more regularly would mean writing less in each session, like with other maintenance-based vs. accomplishment-based activities. But on the other hand NEWSFLASH: I really like to write about myself. Thanks to a tip from a friend I might have a new idea up my sleeve but I'm still playing around with it so stay tuned.
And that fiiiiinally brings us to . . .
October: This months 9/24 Madonna at Verizon Center
9/30 David Byrne & St. Vincent at Strathmore Music Hall
10/7 Frightened Rabbit at Black Cat
10/12 Jens Lekman at 9:30 Club
10/13 Dar Williams at Birchmere
TBD Others??? (Suggestions welcome!**)
And that's not accounting for the music-filled Tennessee adventure from September, which I have yet to post about. Overall, October's music-theme plan is to . . .
- Post a concert review of each show I attend
- Post my September and October playlists, and, if the spirit moves me, playlists from over the summer
- Sing in a chorus at some point during October (All Souls, I'm looking in your direction)
- Steal my dad's guitar again and make some new callouses on my fingers
- Post about the Tennessee trip, particularly the music elements, before the end of the month
See you on the other side for what's sure to be a rousing month of ear protection and napping in November!
*Owing to poor time management, traffic, and apathy, we didn't actually make it to FreeFest. Instead I'll collect some reviews of the bands that we kinda wanted to see but missed while either sitting in traffic in Columbia or while visiting the craft store/Trader Joes after we gave up.
**Especially recommendations for Vegas! Sadly Cher's not there anymore otherwise I would see that show in a heartbeat. We're on the strip the weekend of Oct. 19-22.



Daily journaling has never worked for me either. However, it might work if you didn't look at it so much as daily journaling, because that seems like you're setting yourself up for failure. Instead, think of it as something that you try to do regularly. Then missing a day won't seem so much like defeat and you can keep going again the next day.
ReplyDelete