| GET IN MY MOUTH |
Moving forward, I do want to continue to honor the environmental, political and social concerns from which veganism generally emerges. While I like to eat eggs, cheese, chicken and beef, I don’t like factory farming because it’s cruel, wasteful, environmentally destructive and economically problematic. So, the plan moving forward is to avoid meat (and to a degree dairy) unless I know, and generally approve of, where it came from. Free-range, organic, pasture-raised, no hormones, the whole deal. Fortunately, I live in a city where restaurants increasingly provide that kind of information (and vegetarian options when they don’t), and I live a handful of blocks from a year-round farmers market that sells a variety of local meats AND stays open until 1 pm.
We are also fortunate in that we are not totally ill-prepared to spend a bit more money for quality ingredients whose origin is known and favorable. E and I have agreed to stop buying obviously factory-farmed meat at the grocery store (it’s tough for him - the man does love a sale on shaved beef, and who wouldn’t?). We’ve already been buying local bacon, chickens and ribs from the Dupont Farmers Market, so we’ll keep that up and supplement with clearly designated Whole Foods meats. This may mean that we eat less meat in general, so the expense may not change as much, and we will generally be doing less harm, so it’s kind of a win-win. Dairy-wise, we typically buy our feta and mozzarella at the market, as well as farm-fresh free-range eggs. I doubt I’ll start asking about the origin of the cheeses in my pizza at restaurants or anything, but I may stop buying super-processed shredded cheeses in favor of quality cheese that I can shred myself. I’m on the fence about whether I’ll go back to skim milk or stick to almond milk with my morning cereal, but I’m counting it as a positive that I’m perfectly fine with either one. My workday lunch, which generally consists of hummus, veggies and greens/tortilla, won’t be affected at all.
For February, I’ve decided to focus on meditation. I tried last year and really enjoyed the practice, but I crapped out after two weeks because I am bad at time management. This time, I shall persevere! Meridian Yoga is just up the street from me and offers meditation classes; plus I have a book & CD to help out with my home practice. I don’t expect to be meditating every night, but I’m shooting for several nights a week at minimum, with some non-blog journaling thrown in to monitor effects (or lack thereof).
Onward and upward!
bahaha "Do I have any Gas-X handy??" nice.
ReplyDeletereally cool! I'm enjoying your updates on this stuff.
Thanks! GasX is sooo important. I have Beano too but did you know it hs fish product in it? So strange.
Delete