Monday, January 2, 2012

Just Eat It


You'll be happy to know that I've made it all the way to day two of my minimal-animal-foods diet.  I'm shying away from calling it a vegan diet, because veganism is really more of a philosophy and I imagine true vegans would resent my using the term for a temporary project born largely out of curiosity.  Also I don't intend to stop eating honey, so, there's that.  I will refer to foods as vegan, since that's a more fact-based designation.

What I've learned so far:

- It's hard to eat out as a vegan, even in very hipster-friendly venues.  I had dinner with a vegetarian friend last night and had basically two menu options, one of which (the black bean soup) was basically just a can of beans put into a bowl with some seasoned salt in it.  Not that I'm complaining, black beans and seasoned salt are delicious - but it wasn't exactly worth the $5 hipster-bar-on-H-street premium I paid.  Fortunately my vegetarian friend was able to provide some guidance and sympathy, having had a decade and a half's worth of experience navigating not-so-veggie-friendly menus.  

- Apparently not all beer is vegan, owing to the use of animal byproducts like isinglass and gelatin during the brewing process, as well as lactose (e.g. milk stouts) and honey for flavor.  The beer I had last night, Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema by Anderson Valley Brewing Company, might even have had some lactose in it - which, to be fair, I probably should have figured out from its name.  Either way it was delicious, but dangerously like drinking alcoholic cream soda.  Will have to revisit later in the year.

- Most faux meats are not vegan, as they rely heavily on eggs as the first or second ingredient.  Some have cheese as well, as I learned on my Safeway visit today.  As a carnivore I actually enjoy Morningstar Farm's facon (faux bacon) but Smart Bacon is my only vegan "bacon-style strip" option this month.  I found some vegan faux chick nuggets, as well faux mayo and soy cheese, with a little bit of searching.  The rest of my purchases were produce.

When I got home from Safeway I made myself a modified vegan FLT with my spoils. 



The verdict(s):

- Nayonnaise is quite tasty and nearly identical to light mayonnaise nutrition-wise.
- Smart Bacon looks gross, smells gross, and doesn't bring much to the table flavor-wise

Doesn't exactly scream "EAT ME"
- The soy cheese I got actually isn't vegan, apparently: its second ingredient is casein, which is a milk protein used as a binder. It does taste suspiciously like "real" American cheese, which is to say not at all like cheese but still occasionally delicious.  I didn't realize this until I'd unwrapped one slice so we'll call that slip #2 of likely many.
- The best part of the sandwich, by far, was the avocado.  

Lesson learned: mother nature makes better vegan food than people do.  Shocking, I know.

5 comments:

  1. Ewwwww that "smart bacon" does look really nasty. I like the morningstar farms facon a lot. After I discovered it, I made an flt, and it was AMAZING after so many years of no blts. I don't know how people go vegan, being vegetarian is inconvenient enough. (Not that I am completely veg at this time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on all counts, Carrie! I LOVE Morningstar facon FLTs, esp. with spinach. Not sure I'll make it through this package of Smart Bacon at all. Do you have a blog too or is your Blogger avatar just for commenting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just using it to comment for the moment, but am thinking about starting a blog of my own at some point. But I'm a bit of a procrastinator, so we'll see if it happens.

      Delete
  3. I am impressed with your minimal-animal-product goal for this month! I have "go vegetarian for a month" on my list, have had for a long time now, still haven't really gone for it. I think vegetarian would be a lot easier than nearly-vegan, you are brave! Did you know wine isn't usually vegan either? Or refined sugar? Apparently it's processed through egg whites. I have not yet actually investigated this but I heard it recently and I was even more shocked people can actually live vegan. Does explain why vegans are usually so skinny! heh.

    Anyway good luck! Go visit Sticky Fingers in columbia heights, I've heard their stuff is bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was vegetarian for a year or so back when I had just graduated college - it's not so bad, Rachel, you can totally do it if you're interested! What I'm learning now is that eggs, cheese and butter are much more fundamental to my diet than meat, besides which there are actually a lot of decent faux meats out there these days.

    I had heard that wine wasn't all vegan but I didn't know about refined sugar - that's nuts! Clearly I am going to have to make some compromises this month if I want to eat anything not made by my own two hands. I think a lot of vegans get kind of flexible that way, otherwise they would just be supercranky/starving all the time . . .

    Sticky Fingers is indeed amazing and highly recommended. I will definitely need to make a pilgrimmage there verrrrry soon.

    ReplyDelete